A brilliant LinkedIn article by Nancy Duarte titled 'How TED Changed Business Communication Forever' highlights five ways TED talks have changed public speaking:
1. Audiences have someone to compare you to.
2. Audiences won’t sit still and take it anymore.
3. Audiences are used to shorter media.
4. Audiences can tell if you invested time in them.
5. Audiences will spread great ideas:
What's striking is that TED talks have really responded to the way people want their communications and delivered a format to suit the times. Although this article is about public speaking, the advice is relevant for all other types of communication. It's especially useful if your business is in constant content creation mode.
The basic takeaway is respect your audience when you communicate, no matter how you do it, and you're likely to be successful.